Thursday 12 April 2012

The Great Debaters

Debate is one of my hobbies. I love debate especially for critical issues like criminal. Why I am suddenly talked about debate? This is because for this time, I’m decided to post about one interesting movie that I’ve watched which entitle “The Great Debaters” that is directed by Denzel Washington and produced by Oprah Winfrey’s production.

Abstraction of the movie is about an effort of a debate coach and also a teacher named Melvin B. Tolson to put his debate team which including of James, Samantha, Henry and Hamilton with same level like the Whites in South American during the 1930s.
First time I looked at this movie I can found that the Black in South American need to struggles in every single of matters even in school they have to compete each other to becoming the best among the best. Other interesting scene of this movie is the way how these students debated.

They managed to facts and general knowledge by using the words and make it convincing and believable. The reality is in America racism issues is endless. The Whites are given best treatment and clean image while Blacks are given bad treatment and always left behind.

In this movie also consisted lot of racism and stereotyping scene whereby make me wondering what happen actually in their country and where is the humanism? One thing that makes me proud is about the unity among Black in every difficulty that they facing as example during Melvin B. Tolson were arrested by White police. All the Black was rally outside of the police station in term of to set him free and the victory on their side.



In my piece of mind, racism and stereotyping is just for cowardice because they are hidden in the bright. They always get the best treatment and a bunch of compliment but in reality they are same with the other people. No more no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment